Monday, October 6, 2008

Pumpkins and Mums!

Since it is Fall and everywhere you look you see Pumpkins and Mums, I thought I would do a little research on both. Here are some interesting facts. Mums originated in China, where they have been cultivated for centuries. The first recorded mention of Chrysanthemums was by Confucius in 500 BC. The flowers were thought to have healing properties, and were used as symbols of health and long life. Mums were introduced to the U.S. in the late nineteenth century. Now on to the pumpkins! They get their orange color because they contain massive amounts of lutein, alpha-and beta carotene. These nutrients turn to vitamin A in the body, which regulates cell growth and produce white blood cells. Pumpkin seeds are a good source of iron, zinc, essential fatty acids, potassium, and magnesium. Who knew they were so good for you! I think I will make a pumpkin pie! Mother earth is a wondrous gift from God! Its like magic how it can produce such beauty for our eyes to behold. I love working in the soil, it's a joy for me to plant and water and watch the fruits of my labor appear before my very eyes. Thank you Lord!

1 comment:

Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

This is my favorite time of year. The cool temps, the autumn colors, and the joy of harvest all rejuvenate the soul!