Monday, March 15, 2010

Lunchtime Memories


This weeks hostess is our good friend Faye and here is what she has to say....
your assignment for March 15 is to share your memories of school lunches. What kind of school did you attend--public, private, parochial? Did you bring lunch from home or buy in the school cafeteria? What did your lunch look like? Who prepared it? Who did you have lunch with? Was this a happy part of the school day? What did you do during lunch time other than eat your PB & J sandwich?
Well Faye you are really making me jog my memory in going back to my elementary school daze! I attended a small public school which had grades K-5. There was no cafeteria so we ate lunch in our classroom at our desk. Most of my lunches was PB n J or bologna n cheese sandwiches n cookies or fruit or sometimes I would take soup in my thermos in my lunch box. We could buy milk.. white was 5 cents n chocolate was 10 cents. My Mom made sure my lunch was packed every morning before she went to work. When I started Jr High, that is when I started to buy lunches, that school had a cafeteria. I would buy lunch a few times a week and pack the rest. One time I bought the hot lunch and it had a dead fly in it...well that was the last time I bought lunch for long long time. Enter high school...most of the time I packed because I hated the food served in the cafeteria...as a matter of fact it was my "Pet Peeve" in my senior profile in my yearbook. If I remember correctly...the lunches cost 35cents at the time...If my Mom left us money to buy lunch, I would buy ice cream. Of course lunch time was always the best part of the school day for me (besides going home) I always had a group of friends to sit with and play with outside in the school yard. Things have really changed in schools now...there are vending machines with sodas and junk food for the kids to buy...and we wonder why we have an obesity problem in this country. Thanks for hosting Faye. Now go on over here to see what the others have to say about their lunch time memories

14 comments:

Sandy said...

I wonder if our parents got a subsidy from the peanut butter companies???

loonyhiker said...

Yuck! The dead fly really got me! But you are so right about the vending machines. They are a big money maker for schools. It's a shame that the kids have that option because I don't think we are teaching them good eating habits.

Celeste said...

Wow, I wonder if kids are even allowed to eat at their desks anymore. Seems like someone has probably made some federal regulation regarding how clean the surface must be, the potential of toxins from pencils and eraser dust (sorry, I'm in one of those moods).

Anonymous said...

Vending machines in schools with Junk Food and Soda Pop should be out-lawed!
Our chocolate milk was 8 cents...coming up with those 3 pennies was always a problem. Many times, I could slide my pencil under the machine and find at least 2...
Swampy

Faye said...

I think we may have been in the school lunch system about the same time. It was so much better when you got into high school and could have some say over what you ate and where. Did you also spend your lunch money on the jukebox as well as ice cream? :-)

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Your lunches seemed to have far more choice than mine ever did, although thankfully I can't recall having ever had flies in mine.

Sayre said...

You triggered a memory for me! One of the best treats at school was when dessert was that little round cardboard container of ice cream with the wooden spoon to eat it with. You can actually get those in the stores now. Out of curiosity, I bought a pack. It's not Ben and Jerry's but it's still pretty good - even after all these years!

Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

Ahhh...the school lunch days. Great memories!

joanygee said...

Peanut butter? It was many years before I found out what it was and tried it.
Not the staple food here as it seems to be in the States.
Yes I have some in the kitchen cupboard, but not for sandwiches...it's used to make a savoury sauce like they do in the Netherlands. That's where I discovered'pinda' sauce (mm)
Thank you for sharing.

Jill said...

I forgot about a thermos! I will have to add that to mine. Please feel free to come and visit, I just got my post up, as I hadn't found out until late who was hosting! http://lilmouse.blogsite.org

Pamela said...

I think they are getting rid of the vending machines in our school district. The lunches look pretty appetizing (better then when my kids were in school)

One of the schools I visited has the kids go pick up their school or home lunch then eat at their desk.

Gattina said...

What a difference to your school life and mine. But we both survived, lol !

Living Life said...

PBJ was my favorite lunch, every day of my entire school life!

gracie said...

They are working on changing what is in the vending machines in school. The healthy food is cheaper in the vending machines at work and all the chips are the baked kind. I still love lunch breaks
grace